Travis Scott on the stage at NRG Stadium for the Astroworld festival, in Houston, Texas, on November 5, 2021. SUZANNE CORDEIRO / AFP
Travis Scott will ultimately not be prosecuted for the crowd movement that caused the death of ten people during the Astroworld festival he co-organized in Texas in November 2021, judicial authorities announced Thursday, June 29.
“No criminal charges will be brought”Harris County District Attorney Kim Ogg’s office said in a statement. “It is tragic that ten innocent people were killed while trying to enjoy an evening of music and entertainment”said the prosecutor. “But a tragedy is not always a crime and a death is not always a homicide”she continued.
On November 5, 2021, some 50,000 spectators had gathered in NRG Park, in Houston, to attend the concert of American rapper Travis Scott, when a stampede had trapped dozens of people. Lacking air and space, some lost consciousness and were trampled on by the crowd.
Read also: Houston: the death toll of the crowd movement during the Astroworld festival now stands at nine dead
Possible civil lawsuits
Faced with calls for help, the organizers had waited several tens of minutes before stopping the music and evacuating the premises. A 9-year-old child died in the stampede, which also left hundreds injured.
Numerous complaints had been lodged against the organizers of the Astroworld festival, accused of not having ensured the safety of the participants. They target Travis Scott, present on stage at the time of the tragedy, the promoters, those responsible for the concert site and several companies associated with the festival.
Thursday’s ruling relates to criminal prosecution only, so civil suits are still possible.
Also read: Rappers Travis Scott and Drake sued over deadly crowd movement at Astroworld festival in Houston